Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ugly produce?

Check out this article from the NYTimes. Apparently Europeans are very picky about the appearance of their produce. I think this is ridiculous but I bet it is the same here (although the article makes no mention of US standards): how often do you see bulbous tomatoes or two-pronged carrots at the large grocery stores? Not very.

I bet that is why we have those tiny carrot sticks--you know the ones, sanded down into those uniform little cylinders.

2 comments:

grace said...

HAHAHA

"The rising cost of commodities also persuaded the European Commission that there was no point in throwing away food just because it looked strange."

this is just great. good one, julie! we should celebrate by making a meal out of all oddly shaped foods.

jane said...

in france it is like not at all ok to touch or smell producebefore you buy it. so apparently you are going on looks alone. which is weird and why i always touched and smelled my produce no matter how many weird looks i got.

suck it france.